Garbage disposal helps you clean up the mess of dirty dishes after a party or cooking. You just need to put the leftovers in the disposal and it will break the mess down. Then, you realize that there’s something wrong with your disposal. Your garbage disposal hums but doesn’t spin. What’s happening?
What makes the disposal hums but doesn’t spin?
There are many things that can cause the humming sound in your garbage disposal, yet it doesn’t spin. One of the most prevalent causes is your disposal is jammed up. It makes your disposal still have power, but can’t spin due to being stuck.
It happens because you might accidentally drop non-biodegradable objects such as coins, rings, large staples, or any other objects that can’t be broken down by the disposal’s blade.
To make it spin, you need to remove that object. You can use magnet to remove it. However, this method will work for iron and steel objects. Then, what if the object is made of other materials?
How to fix jammed garbage disposal
If using magnet doesn’t solve your problem, you can take a crack at this following method:
- Safety is the most important thing before fixing your garbage disposal. To avoid any accident, turn your garbage disposal off. Or, you can turn the power off so that the disposal won’t cause any harm to you.
- Using a flashlight, find out what has made your disposal stop running. If there is something inside the disposal that has made it stuck, remove it. But, make sure that the disposal has been turned off.
- If you can’t find anything that has made it stop spinning, take the wrench that has a “Z” shape. This wrench usually comes with the disposal. Insert it in the bottom of the disposal. Then, wiggle the plate back and forth. Keep doing it until the plate moves freely.
- If the “Z” shaped wrench is not available, you can use a ¼ inch Allen wrench in place of it. And if you can’t find an opening at the bottom of the garbage disposal, you can insert the handle of a broom into the drain opening. Then, wiggle the plate. After that, check whether the disposal is okay now.
- If you’ve done all those things and there is nothing stuck in the disposal any more, but the disposal is still humming, you might need to consider replacing your garbage disposal.
- The humming sound indicates that there is something wrong with your garbage disposals. It means replacing the disposal is necessary.
- If the disposal runs normally, you need to maintain your garbage disposal well so that it won’t be jammed any more. The way to maintain it is by not treating your disposal as a trash can. Don’t put non-biodegradable things into the garbage disposal as it will block the disposal.
Those are some methods that you can apply when you happen to experience that your garbage disposal hums but doesn’t spin. The best way to overcome this problem is by doing good maintenance your garbage disposal in the first place. Don’t put all the leftovers in your garbage disposal. You’d better to scrape some the leftovers such as chicken and fish bone to the trash can.