Frequent use of garbage disposal sometimes may cause it to not work. It is common thing due to the fact that people use garbage disposal every day. The ability of garbage disposal to shred food materials will leave residues in the motor and blades.
The trapped materials will likely make the garbage disposal to start humming because the blades cannot work properly. If the garbage disposal is humming or even stop humming, you may have to know how to reset garbage disposal.
When you install a garbage disposal, you can find red overload protector button on the bottom of the disposal. This button will be used to reset a garbage disposal that is not running. If there is something wrong with the disposal, it will shut down automatically, and if you see the red button popped out, it means that you have to reset the disposal.
To manually reset garbage disposal, do follow these steps:
- Switch off the disposal.
- Press the red button gently. If the button does not retract, wait for ten minutes and try again.
- Turn on the water stream and switch on the disposal, by now the disposal should be working.
- If it is still not working, probably there is food waste caught up in the blades. If that is the problem, you may have to manually clean the garbage disposal first to see what is wrong.
- Even after you do the manual cleaning and the garbage disposal still won’t work, you may require a service or ask for a replacement.
Removing Objects Stuck in the Disposal
If you assume that the disposal does not work because some objects fall through in it, you need a flashlight to locate and identify the problem. Do not use your hands, instead, use metal tongs to lift the obstruction. After that, turn on the disposal, run cold water, and try to switch on the disposal once again.
Do and Don’ts
In resetting a garbage disposal, there are certain do and don’ts that need to be considered.
- Keep the garbage disposal clean by using a little bit of dish soap and let the water runs after doing the dishes.
- Use the garbage disposal regularly. It will prevent the disposal from rust or corrosion.
- Give your garbage disposal a fresh smell by grinding citrus peels.
- Cut the items into small pieces. It is easier to be ground and do not rush.
- Never put your hands into the disposal.
- Do not put waste materials from plastic, metal, glass, or paper. Also, avoid combustibles materials.
- Do not put oil, fat, or grease. It won’t grind and you will clog the drain pipe.
- Fibrous food will likely jam and clog the drain, be sure to stay away from onion skins, celery, or artichoke.
- Do not turn off the water before grinding process is finished. Let it run for about 10 to 15 seconds after grinding.
- Do not use chemicals like bleach or drain cleaner. It will damage the drains and pipes.
Now that you learn how to reset garbage disposal, you can do this regularly. The steps are simple and easy to follow. Moreover, it does not take much time, so you can finish resetting garbage disposal in at most 15 to 20 minutes.